Monday, July 15, 2013

Music Review: David Bowie - The Next Day

Today's Music Review looks at the first album from David Bowie in ten years, The Next Day. Sorry there has been a delay in putting out album reviews. Life has taken some unprecedented turns and in the case of a new David Bowie album, one must sit and let every subtle nuance simmer just a bit before musing over the intricacies.

Album cover for David Bowie's twenty-fourth (yes, TWENTY-FOURTH!) studio album, The Next Day.
Every year for the last several years I have written a review of the year on December 31st, looking at the good and the bad of the year for me. I then listed famous celebrities that had died followed by a review of the year's resolutions and how I did. I'd then finish with new resolutions and hopes for the new year. For many of those years, I have hoped for a new album from David Bowie. But, the man has been incredibly quiet over the years, so such a thing was highly unlikely.

Then his 66th birthday came to be on January 8th. Out of absolutely nowhere, David Bowie gave us a new single and music video and an announcement that a new album was due in March. I, and probably the entire David Bowie fan community, went absolutely bat shit crazy. I recall sitting in my apartment at my computer desk, mouth hanging open, eyes wide, and listening to the new single at a loud volume. I could care less if my neighbors got pissed. This was David Bowie and he was BACK!

I'm sure there's a certain level of pessimism that accompanies the release of a new Bowie album, the first in ten years. Many felt that Bowie's experimentation with a more electronic sound throughout the 90s and 00s was a terrible idea and that he had more or less lost his touch and meaning. So, concern one is that maybe this album is a continuation of that tragic trend. Another concern that comes to mind is why wait so long to produce another album? Money troubles?
David Bowie. Image taken from The Guardian.
Admittedly, I personally haven't listened much to his newer albums. I tend to stick to the more classic stuff, though his catalog is so immense I feel I just need to spend a few years getting intimately acquainted with each album. So, I don't have much of an opinion on the newer albums. I do know Bowie has had various health issues, the more recent and severe of which was a blocked coronary artery in 2004 that led to the cancellation of several dates on his last tour supporting his own work. 2006 marked the last time he performed on a stage. But, if money were an issue, Bowie would most likely be touring to support this newest album. Thus far, no plans for a tour have been made and it's still very uncertain if Bowie will ever tour again. I, for one, hope he does as I'd love to see him live (and I've already put down in words that if he steps foot anywhere in Texas, I am there. I will drive or fly and pay whatever ticket price to be general admission).

Instead, as Tony Viscontti has said in press releases on Bowie's behalf, Bowie simply wants to focus on making music when he feels he has something to say, and after ten years, he felt he had something to say, culminating into The Next Day.

What I do know of Bowie's more recent albums was they took on a more electronic sound, at least in part (I did break down and purchase a couple of the newer albums, but have not yet gotten the chance to give them a good listen, so I don't know how overarching a statement that is). Surprisingly (or maybe not, given the ten year gap), The Next Day returns to a more classic Bowie sound, but with a modern flair. For those looking for the short and sweet version - the new album is sensational and if you have not listened to it yet, you are really missing out.

The album opens with the namesake track (and third single), "The Next Day." This may well be my favorite song off the album and serves as a great opener for the album. It's a bit of an upbeat modern rock song and instantly catchy. And for those wondering, David Bowie's voice is still lush and glorious as ever, a treat to the ears. I don't really know what the lyrics suggest in this song, though there are some religious undertones (so maybe a statement against religion? Don't quote me here, I don't know, however the music video does contain more religious content and was briefly banned on YouTube, so maybe?). Suffice to say, I love this one.

The next track is a sleazy sounding song titled "Dirty Boys" (the sleazy sound is very apt, me thinks). Again, I'm not really sure what David Bowie is getting at lyrically, but I like the overall sound this track conveys. Maybe it isn't supposed to sound sleazy, per se, but with the title, that's how I interpret it. Not necessarily the strongest track on the album, but certainly worth a listen.

The third track is the second single from the album, "The Stars (Are Out Tonight)." The way I interpret this song is actually a commentary about today's famous stars, people looking at the rest of us from behind their shades, who need us (to make them feel important and such), but are always jealous and while we don't always like them, we still for some reason hope they live forever. I find this to be another strong song on the album and another favorite of mine.

Skipping to the fifth track and first single from the album is "Where Are We Now?" Admittedly, this song had to grow on me first. It's a slower song, but still very beautiful. I don't know lyrically what David Bowie is trying to convey, but if the music video is any indication, it features Bowie and Jacqueline Humphries (wife of the director for the music video) in a Berlin apartment that is made to look much like the one Bowie lived in during the Berlin Triology of albums he released in the mid- to late-70's. The idea is perhaps that in his older age, Bowie is looking back on his career and reminiscing about where his career has taken him over the years, at times wanting to go back in time to those years, yet still wanting to move forward. All in all, a great track and so crafty to have it drop on his 66th birthday!

The sixth track is another favorite of mine entitled "Valentine's Day" (and is slated to be the fourth single). To me, this is about a person who is perhaps lonely and has a love interest that doesn't feel the same way back, but for this Valentine's Day, they're going to go for it and ask the other person. If that is the meaning, rather simplistic, but I just really enjoy the music and how Bowie meshes these lyrics to it. I'm interested to see what the music video will hold for this one.

I'll stop here. The rest of the album is pretty solid, so I recommend giving it a complete run through. Even the bonus songs in the deluxe version (which probably weren't considered "good enough" to make the main release) are really great. For being his first album in ten years, Bowie still has it - the sound, the voice, hell, even the look. Sure, this album is no Ziggy Stardust, but then again, is it even possible to match a genius like that? I'm doubtful. Regardless, The Next Day is an auditory treat you won't want to miss any longer. Welcome back, Mr. Bowie. We have greatly missed you.


Rating: 5 out of 5

More Information: Official Site of David Bowie

No comments:

Post a Comment