Monday, June 10, 2013

Concert Review: The Casualties 5/30/13

On May 30th, I saw The Casualties in Austin as part of the Chaos in Tejas punk festival at 11E5. Admittedly, I was at this show really to see The Damned, but I figured seeing The Casualties would be neat as I had tried to get into them earlier in my life while I was still more into punk music.
The Casualties in 2007. Left to right: Jake Kolatis, Jorge Herrera, Marc Eggers, and Rick Lopez
The Casualties formed in 1990 in New York City in an effort to return punk music to what it was more or less originally (perhaps what some see as the second wave of punk rock that was characterized by faster and more aggressive music, i.e., the hardcore and oi! scenes). They drew heavy influences at the time from great hardcore bands like Charged GBH and The Exploited.

The lineup has remained fairly constant over the years with early founders having left, well...early, and others coming and going in the 90s. The current lineup has been together since the early to mid 90s (okay, Rick Lopez joined up in 1998, but semantics and details and so forth) and consists of Jorge Herrera on vocals, Rick Lopez on bass guitar and backing vocals, Jake Kolatis on guitar and vocals, and Marc Eggers on drums.

Allow me to admit that my like of punk music has both waned and become a bit selective over the years. Even back about eight years ago when I was first getting into punk, I had a hard time getting into this band. And sadly, this performance did little to change my mind on the matter. Now, mind you, this isn't to say they were bad. I'll get to the review in a bit. But, as the post-punk gothy type I am, the chances of me suddenly becoming a fan of this band were already low. It just isn't my type of music anymore.
A photo I took of Jake Kolatis, Jorge Herrera, and Marc Eggers
Why did I never get into The Casualties? I don't know. I like other bands of the genre (The Exploited, Charged GBH, Discharge, FEAR, and Rancid, to name a few). Certainly The Casualties sound similar. I think in part, I just didn't care so much for Jorge's style of vocals. Not saying they're bad, just not for me. But, enough on all this. To the review!

The Casualties took to the stage and started with "My Blood, My Life." Immediately the crowd began to get rowdy, crowd surfing and stage diving. There was a lot of energy to the show, but I was quickly reminded, while standing near a stack of speakers, why I don't care too much for Herrera's vocals (the screams cut through the music a bit harshly at times and feel like knife blades in your eardrums when you get too close to speakers).

Their set continued with several other fast paced songs, many having lyrics related to politics and varying social injustices. Somewhere around the point when they played "Underground Army," Herrera threw a Casualties Army scarf into the crowd and things seemed to pick up even more than before. Fans were going crazy and singing at the top of their lungs.
Jake Kolatis
Afterwards, Herrera encouraged some fans to have a cock fight, basically, where a girl would get on a guy's shoulders and the two would bash into other groups in a mosh pit with the winner getting free beer. At first, audience members were hesitant to participate (I know, punks hesitant to bash into each other? I swear I'm not making this part up), but after a bit some did participate. I kept worrying someone would fall off and bash their head open on the concrete (fortunately, this did not happen).

The Casualties ended with "We Are All We Have" which was met with much energy from the crowd. As they left the stage, fans demanded more, but sadly with other bands left to come, no encore would be had. Some fans retreated to find water, others rushed in closer for the next band and the hope of getting good spots for The Damned.
The setlist from the night. I think this came from over where  Rick lopez was most of the night, but I wasn't paying attention
All in all, The Casualties have done a great job attracting fans over the years. Their show was full of energy (and dare I say that perhaps Kolatis upstaged Herrera a bit?) and meaning that can at times be lost or turned into a mockery in punk shows. They still aren't my favorite band and I doubt I will find myself listening to them more, but they still retain the same feel punk bands from the 90s came with. All in all, not a bad show at all and I'm glad to have seen it, even with all the crowd surfing and stage diving that I loathe.

Sound Off! Were you at this show? What did you think? Did you become a fan of The Casualties after this? Were you already a fan? What were your favorite moments? Share your thoughts in the comments section!


Rating: 4 out of 5 (good energy, good antics, overall good sound, but not really my cup of tea anymore)

More Information: Official MySpace of The Casualties

No comments:

Post a Comment